Thursday, December 21, 2006

Want Ad Women

All day long, and I mean all day, I have had the classic #1 single "Want Ads" in my head. I woke up this morning, and I just had the desire to hear it, so I went through my collection and grabbed some Capitol best of compilation I hadn't listened to in years. It's such good Detroit soul, but they were no Motown act. They were signed to Holland/Dozier/Holland's Hot Wax label, which was set up upon the famed writing/production team's exit from the aforementioned Motown Records. Honey Cone had a song here and there that charted, but never topped "Want Ads", which has been sampled a few times as of late by people who just know. Next step for me is getting Soulful Sugar: The Complete Hot Wax Recordings, because having a 10-track best of just ain't enough soul when it comes to Honey Cone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bI love that song. Haven't heard it in ages.