Monday, September 11, 2006

Kiss Me Like The Ocean Breeze


I don't know if last night's Little Steven's Underground Garage show was New York themed or not. With the 5 year anniversary of 9/11 being today, I assume that maybe it was, in some way, a tribute to the great city. Little Steven Van Zandt opened with one of the most beautiful monologues I've ever heard on radio, documenting NYC's great musical heritage via the nightclubs and the artists themselves. From The Cotton Club and the Duke to Hilly Kristal's CBGB's and The Velvets playing at Warhol's Factory, Van Zandt covered it all and with a dirty, gritty, sinful NYC drawl that made it just alright, y'know? He lead off with "Sweet Jane" and then went into The Bronx's Blues Magoos' 60's classic "(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet", arguably two of the finest NY songs ever written and recorded. Unfortunately, for me, I was only in the car for those first 15 minutes or so of the show and, well, radio reception in my house is basically non-existent due to the fact that I am in the woods, so to speak.

I've got garage and protopunk in my veins today, going so far as to bring in some key rocknroll cds for the long, dreary Monday work day.


  • VA - Girls With Guitars (Ace Records UK)
  • VA - MOJO Music Guide Vol. 1 - Instant Garage (free with Mojo June 2003)
  • The Lords Of The New Church - The Lords Of The New Church (IRS)
  • The Pretty Things - The EP Collection (See For Miles Records UK)
  • Oasis - Familiar To Millions (Big Brother)
  • Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (Columbia)
  • The Stooges - Funhouse (Elektra)
  • The Dictators - Manifest Destiny (Asylum)

No comments: